https://www.foothillswellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Turkey-and-wild-rice-soup-1.jpeg 307 380 integritive https://www.foothillswellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/foothills-footer-logo.png integritive2016-02-02 00:00:002020-05-05 15:23:36
Turkey & Wild Rice Soup
- 2 Onions, Minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon EVOO
- 2 Teaspoons Fresh Thyme or ½ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 3 Carrots, Peeled and Sliced ¼ inch Thick
- 2 Celery Ribs, Sliced ¼ inch Thick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Bone-in-Turkey Thighs (about 2 Pounds), Skin Removed, Trimmed
- 1 Cup Brown Rice
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook onions, garlic, tomato paste, oil and thyme in a skillet, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, carrots, celery, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Season turkey with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until turkey is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.
- Transfer turkey to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite size pieces, discarding bones. Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Discard bay leaves. Stir in rice, cover and cook on high until rice is tender, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Stir in shredded turkey and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.