https://secureservercdn.net/22.214.171.124/a2c.d14.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/macaroni-and-cheese.jpg?time=1615915914 840 630 integritive https://secureservercdn.net/126.96.36.199/a2c.d14.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/foothills-footer-logo.png integritive2019-01-08 00:00:002020-03-24 14:06:50
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown rice elbow (gluten free) macaroni (6 ounces)
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 6 1/2 ounce package light semisoft cheese with garlic and herb
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese (3 ounces)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- In a medium saucepan cook macaroni according to package directions, except do not add any salt to the water; drain.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion to hot skillet. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and onion is tender, stirring frequently. (If onion browns too quickly, reduce heat to medium.) Remove skillet from heat. Add semisoft cheese; stir until melted.
- In a medium bowl whisk together milk and flour until smooth. Add all at once to chicken mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Add cooked macaroni; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Top with cherry tomatoes.