- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 lb grass fed beef
- 1/4 c ketchup
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp steak seasoning spice of your choice
- 1/2 c fine almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp butter, cut into cubes and chilled
- 1 c unsweetened almond milk
- 2 lg eggs
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium high heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp salt, and cook until golden and tender, about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, crumbling the meat with the spoon, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup, mustard and seasoning, and cook for 30 seconds. Transfer into the pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Use a pastry blender or fingertips to work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Whisk together the milk and eggs in a small bowl, pour into the flour mixture, and whisk until well-combined. The batter will be a little lumpy. Pour slowly and evenly over meat mixture. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Bake in the center of the oven until golden brown on top, slightly puffed, and set, 20-25 minutes. A thin knife blade inserted 2 inches from the center should come out clean.
- Let cool in the dish on a wire rack for 10 minutes before serving.