https://www.foothillswellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/healthy-mac-and-cheese-scaled.jpg 1920 2560 integritive https://www.foothillswellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/foothills-footer-logo.png integritive2016-01-27 00:00:002020-05-05 15:25:08
Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 3 Slices Sprouted Bread
- 2 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 4 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
- 12 Ounces Gluten-Free Elbow Pasta
- 2 ½ Cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Arrowroot
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic, Minced
- ½ Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 12 Ounces Colby Cheese, Shredded
- 6 Ounces Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Pulse bread and melted butter in food processor until coarsely ground, about 12 pulses. Spread crumbs in even layer on rimmed baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool on wire rack. Once cooled break up any large clumps into fine crumbs.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Stir in pasta and 1 TBSP of salt and cook, stirring often, until pasta is al dente. Drain pasta and leave in colander.
- Whisk ½ cup of milk and arrowroot together in small bowl. Add remaining 4 TBSP butter to now empty pot and return to medium heat until melted. Stir in garlic, mustard, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in remaining 2 cups milk and chicken broth and bring to simmer. Whisk in arrowroot mixture, return to simmer, and continue cooking, whisking often, until large bubble form on surface and mixture is slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Off heat, gradually whisk in Colby and cheddar until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sir drained pasta into cheese sauce, breaking up any clumps, until well combined. Pour pasta mixture into 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and bubbling around edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.