https://www.foothillswellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/healthy-mac-and-cheese-scaled.jpg 1920 2560 integritive https://www.foothillswellnesscenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/foothills-footer-logo.png integritive2018-10-18 00:00:002020-05-05 14:22:26
Healthy Mac and Cheese
- 12 oz brown rice elbow pasta
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups natural shredded cheddar
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs
- cooking spray
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta and broccoli together, according to package directions for al dente.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt the butter, then add the onion and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add the flour and cook 1 minute or until flour is golden and well combined. Whisk in milk and broth, raise heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil, then cook an additional 5 minutes or until smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir until melted. Stir in the cooked pasta and broccoli, then pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan or nutritional yeast.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, then broil a few minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden.